Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
|What is VITA?
Across Atlantic County at a number of sites in libraries, offices and community centers, trained volunteer tax preparers are helping individuals and families claim their maximum benefit and refund. United Way's Volunteer Center coordinates the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program as a valuable community resource during the tax season. VITA provides low to moderate income households with free, quality tax return preparation and in many cases, ensure eligible taxpayers claim the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).
In addition to these crucial benefits, tax refunds play an important role in the health of our community. In fact, the tax refunds returned to low income households are most often spent locally on services or products in their communities.
When you go to a VITA site, be sure to take the items listed below:
- Valid photo ID
- Copy of your 2011 tax return, if available
- Social Security numbers or Individual Taxpayer Identification
Numbers (ITIN) for you, your spouse and any children born before
- Income documentation, including W-2 forms for all jobs held during
the year, and any 1099 forms showing other income for the year
- Bank account information (including account and routing number) or a blank check for direct deposit
- Childcare expenses, including provider’s address and federal ID
- Mortgage statements
- Adoption expenses
- Alimony paid/received
- Notices from IRS or state tax office
- Property tax bills
- College tuition or student loan statements
*If you have lost or don’t have all of these
items, you can still get your taxes prepared. Call the IRS helpline at
1-800-829-1040 for information on what you need to do or how to obtain
To find our more, call 609-404-4483 or dial 2-1-1.
To Book an appointment online click on the button and select your location and time.